- MTPL insurance
- Green card
Motor third party liability insurance (MTPL) is compulsory for all motorized modes of transport (including mopeds, trailers and agricultural machinery). The MTPL policy does not insure your vehicle, but your liability for potential damage to the property and health of other persons, if a traffic accident occurred due to your fault.
Risks included in the insurance coverage:
- Expenses for transporting the injured persons to a medical institution,
- Damage to other vehicles caused during a traffic accident;
- Vehicle repair or complete destruction (cannot be repaired);
- Damage caused to buildings, structures, road or road objects;
- Damage to the property of a third party caused during a traffic accident;
- Expenses for evacuation of the vehicle from the scene of the accident;
- Damage to the environment;
- Expenses incurred in the process of rescuing injured persons;
- Temporary or lifelong disability of injured persons;
- Medical expenses, expenses for the purchase of medicines and technical auxiliary aids for injured persons;
- Compensation for mutilations, injuries and disability;
- Compensation for the death of injured persons and burial expenses;
- Compensation to the dependents or the breadwinners of the deceased.
Compensation is available to injured persons who are not guilty in causing a particular road accident:
- Vehicle owners or drivers;
- Passengers, even if at the time of the accident they were in the vehicle that caused the traffic accident
- Pedestrians, cyclists and other persons whose property has been damaged.
- MTPL policy can be purchased with the validity period of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.
- MTPL policy prices differ from different insurers, but all calculate prices taking into account various criteria, including: Bonus-Malus class for the vehicle owner, vehicle type and gross weight, insurance period, place of registration and others.
- MTPL Standard policy is in force in the territory of Latvia and other European Economic Area (EEA) countries: Lithuania, Estonia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Cyprus, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Sweden, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway, as well as Andorra and Switzerland.
- If you plan to go to Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Iran, Morocco or Moldova, you will you will have to purchase the International Insurance Certificate or the Green Card.
- The green card works exactly like MTPL. This is the International MTPL insurance agreement for vehicles registered in Latvia, but participating in road traffic in a country that is a member of the Green Card system.
- You need to buy a Green Card if you plan to travel to or cross Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Iran, Morocco or Moldova.
- You can purchase a Green Card with a validity period of 15 days to 12 months.
- The Green Card is valid in the countries specified in your Green Card insurance policy.
Special offer for road hauliers
We recommend you to contact our insurance brokers in order to obtain the MTPL policies for your truck fleet, as broker may negotiate non-standard conditions with insurance companies. The broker will promptly issue a MTPL insurance or a Green Card from the insurer that offers the best insurance conditions for your vehicle, taking into account the countries where it will participate in road traffic.
Working through us as brokers you get another significant advantage – if there is insurance case, we are always on the client’s side and settlement of losses is usually simpler and quicker.